Image FONACAR

What one visitor to Cleethorpes makes of our cashless toilets.

What one visitor to Cleethorpes makes of our cashless toilets.

A visitor to Cleethorpes from Northamptonshire wrote to a daily newspaper paper to criticise Cleethorpes cashless Loos.

The independent cash review found that more than eight million adults in Britain would seriously struggle to cope if society went cashless in the future. It also argued that the right to use cash should be on the same footing as the right to send and receive letters and have clean water in our homes.

The visitor wrote that on a recent visit to Lincolnshire many public toilets were charging 20p to use them with a 20p coin needed to use them. But on arriving in Cleethorpes you could only use a contactless card to use them. This is not acceptable for many people including the elderly. One elderly woman was struggling to get in and consequently wet herself.

Is this a fitting way to treat people who may not have such a card?

Have you struggled with the cashless Loos in our town?

Do you agree with this visitors comments?

ramsdens

Contact Grimsby Independent
Email us: grimsbynews@gi-media.co.uk
Follows us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest local stories, breaking news and to join the conversation
Interested in leisure and entertainment? Follow our dedicated What's On Facebook page, for all your local sport Grimsby Independent Sport

grimsbyindependent
administrator

9 Comments

H. FORSTER , July 2, 2019 @ 10:42 am

It’s time the council understood and catered for peoples dignity, of all ages and abilities by supplying clean, practical and frequent toilets throughout the resort. There’s nothing worse or more humiliating than desperately needing to use a toilet, and not being able to find one, or finding one that is unusable as it is filthy. Most people are happy to pay 20p for the up keep, or even better, bring back the toilet attendants.

Dave , July 2, 2019 @ 10:54 am

Absolutely agree with the visiter. Either make them free, which as a tourist resort they should be or go back to cash. Another example of our useless council not thinking things through.
    Or perhaps there’s a private company running them, making profit out of our locally owned and paid for assets.

Screwbylil , July 2, 2019 @ 11:31 am

What a joke to be using cards ! Also i have no qualms paying for facilities which are up to standard however the ones in the resort are severely under par, it shames me to think what visitors to meggies must think. Bring back the attendants they kept them up to scratch, why are they so much better in other resorts, beggars belief !

Anon , July 2, 2019 @ 11:45 am

You shouldn’t have to pay to use the toilet especially in a seaside resort

Doreen Esaw , July 2, 2019 @ 12:13 pm

Everyone should have easy access to toilets surely it’s a basis right for everyone I personally don’t like contactless cards so would be prohibitively stopped from using them

Stacey , July 2, 2019 @ 12:28 pm

On visiting for the armed forces weeken I was annoyed to find the cashless toilets
    My mother who does not use a bank card had to come find me as she could not get in the toilet and felt really embarrassed.
    Also it causes a queue when there is a lot of people

CastielRocks , July 3, 2019 @ 10:03 am

I find it disgusting that you have to pay full stop! I suffer with a bowel and bladder issue and could end up going 5/6 times during a visit.
    I keep hearing that it’s to stop vandalism and drug taking, are you seriously saying druggies and vandals dont have debit cards? If I wanted to inject my drugs 20p wouldn’t put me off!

m bullock , July 6, 2019 @ 12:31 pm

Iv just arrived in Cleethorpes gone in a lovely Cafe guess what no toilet but sign saying use the one round corner I went no cash I had no card on me what a joke we are treated like a 3rd world country you dont Get this abroad I will cross Cleethorpes off my visiting list now

Cazza , July 11, 2019 @ 7:09 am

If you contact the council or the tourist information then they y tell you that the company who has contract for them providee pre payment cards but when you contact the company they say they have no plans to supply pre payments cards.
    This council is a joke.
    Do other council not have the same issues wuth drug taking. But you dont see them resorting to this lunatic solution.