Pensioner hospitalised in explosion

Pensioner hospitalised in explosion

Pensioner hospitalised in explosion

A pensioner was hospitalised after an explosion at his home on Columbia Road in Grimsby last night, it has been reported.

The 73-year-old man remains in hospital where he is being treated for his injuries.

He was also treated with oxygen on the scene.

The incident occurred at around 8.15pm on Thursday evening.

Witnesses reported an explosion after the front windows were seen being blown out.

It is thought that embers from a coal fire ignited a canister of lighter fluid which was in the front room.

Crews from Humberside Police, Humberside Fire and Rescue Service and East Midlands Ambulance Service attended the scene.

The road was closed while emergency services dealt with the incident.

Speaking yesterday evening, Richard Gibson, station manager at Humberside Fire and Rescue said:

“We’ve just attended a house fire in Grimsby.

“We had three appliances mobilised from Peaks Lane to a report of a gas explosion.

“We attended the property.

“There was one adult male inside the property who has been rescued by the fire service.

“Crews were here in minutes.

“We’re dealing with the incident, it’s ongoing now – the fire investigation – a joint investigation with the police.

“The individual has been moved to hospital.

“I’d like to remind people at this time, the importance of having fitted, working smoke alarms.”

In an updated statement today, a spokesperson said:

 “We received the call at 8.10pm and three crews from Peaks Lane attended.

“There had been some paper and lighter fuel in the property that ignited.

“Crew members gave oxygen therapy.

“The investigation is still on-going but it appears there was a coal fire going at the time and that may have been a source.”

Contact Gi Grimsby
Email us:
Follows us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest local stories, breaking news and to join the conversation