Tiffins Tandoori infested with Rats

An Abingdon restaurant has been ordered to pay more than £17,000 after its food storage area was found to be infested with rats.

Vale of White Horse District Council has today announced a successful prosecution of Tiffins Tandoori in Bath Street, Abingdon relating to five offences under the Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations.
At the Oxford Magistrates’ court on 17 July, the defendants pleaded guilty to all five offences and were subsequently ordered to pay £3,000 for each charge and costs of £2,211.26 and a victim surcharge of £181.

Environmental Health Officers from Vale of White Horse District Council visited the restaurant on 4 October 2019 to carry out an unannounced routine food hygiene inspection.

During this inspection officers found that both the inside and outside food and equipment storage areas had evidence of a rat infestation.

This included including rat droppings on equipment, including on frying pans, as well as gnawed food and gnawed food packaging.  They also found a large hole which had been created by the rats in the internal food store room.

Cllr Jenny Hannaby, Vale of White Horse District Council cabinet member for housing and environment said:

“The council’s food safety officers have an important role protecting people’s health. They are rigorous and diligent in their work making sure businesses which serve food keep to high hygiene standards. When firms fail to meet these standards, as in this case, officers will take immediate action. I am pleased to hear that the restaurant has now worked hard to improve food hygiene levels and its food safety for its customers.”

Since the inspection, the restaurant has claimed to have carried out work costing £25,000.

Contact Gi Oxford
Email us:
Follows us on Facebook for all the latest local stories, breaking news and to join the conversation