Police plea on domestic abuse

Police plea on domestic abuse

Police plea on domestic abuse

Shock results of a poll into domestic abuse has led Humberside Police to launch a fresh appeal for people to contact them if they spot signs that someone is a victim.

“If you saw someone being assaulted and abused in the street we’re pretty sure that most of you would call us straight away,” said a spokesperson for the Force.

“However, what if you knew or suspected this was happening to someone in their own home and the person doing it to them was their partner or a family member? Would you call us then?

“According to the results of a poll we carried out, 12.5% of you wouldn’t.

“That really concerned us, so today we’re launching a fresh appeal to show you how making that call could potentially change someone’s life.”

Domestic abuse takes many forms, including psychological, physical, sexual, financial and emotional.

Detective Chief Inspector Emma Heatley said: “The signs that someone is suffering from domestic abuse aren’t always obvious but if a friend or loved one has changed or something doesn’t seem right, there are things you can look out for.

“One of the more easy things to spot are physical injuries.

“Another sign to look out for is if they seem stressed or depressed, particularly if they’re reluctant to talk about what’s bothering them. Maybe they have lost their confidence and don’t seem to have any self-esteem.

“Perhaps they seem nervous, or act differently when their partner is around – or you’re suddenly finding that you’re not seeing them as often as you used to.

“It might be that they’re always making excuses for not coming when you invite them to come out, or they never have any money.

“Other signs to watch out for are if someone starts being regularly late for work and taking time off sick.

“Some people turn to drink or drugs – both illegal and prescription drugs – to help them cope. Are you worried someone you know may be taking something?

“Of course, it may not be your loved-one’s behaviour that starts ringing alarm bells. It might be the way their partner is behaving.

“Do they seem jealous, possessive or aggressive? Do they constantly phone to check up on them or are you concerned they’ve been going through their phone, emails or social media?

“If any of these signs apply to someone you know and you’re worried about them, it’s always worth giving us a call.”

Under Clare’s Law, third parties can go to police to request a domestic abuse disclosure application.

To find out more, visit 

If you are concerned about someone, call police on 101 or 999 if they are in immediate danger. You can also call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111 or report anonymously to Crimestoppers online


Women’s Aid have launched a real time online chat function to enable victims to reach out for help. You can find out more about this here 

Women’s Aid – 0808 200 0247

Refuge’s 24 hour helpline – 0808 2000 247

Men’s Advice Line – 0808 801 0327

Mankind Initiative – 01823 334 244

Childline – 0800 111 111

Hull Domestic Abuse Partnership – 01482 318 759

North & North East Lincs support – The Blue Door – 0800 197 47 87

East Riding Support – 01482 396 330

North East Lincs Women’s Aid – 01472 575757 (24hrs)

Respect – Helpline for offenders – 0845 122 86 09

Contact Gi Grimsby
Email us:
Follows us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest local stories, breaking news and to join the conversation

Contact Gi Scunthorpe News
Email us: