Man sentenced following rape in Hull pub

Man sentenced following rape in Hull pub

Man sentenced following rape in Hull pub

A local man has been handed a 15-year prison sentence after he attacked a woman in a pub in Hull.

Leon Chantler, 30, of Great Thornton Street was sentenced at Hull Crown Court, yesterday, Thursday 13 May.

On Friday 3 January,  a woman reported that she had been raped by an unknown man after visiting a bar on Princess Avenue.

Chantler was arrested shortly after.

It is alleged that Chantler approached the victim in Pearson’s Bar, where he provided her with comfort but then raped her.

A spokesperson for Humberside Police said he had taken advantage of her “vulnerable state” whilst “out of view of staff.”

Following the assault, in a distressed state, the victim fled the bar and was followed by Chantler.

A member of the public intervened and took her to safety.

Chantler is said to have shown no signs of remorse and denied the ordeal had ever happened.

Detective Constable Robert O’Neill said:

“The sentence reflects the serious nature of the assault and reinforces that the nobody should be left to feel unsafe at whilst on a night out.

“This victim has been extremely brave in coming forward and helping us with our enquires, we know that the memories of this dreadful event may never go away but we hope that by bringing this man to justice it will go some way to help in her recovery.

“I would like to provide reassurance to anyone who may have suffered a sexual assault, if you come to us and report your assault we will listen to and support you and act against those responsible.

“We work in partnership with the local authority and a number of local charities and agencies to ensure victims of this type of crime are offered advice and support whether they decide to pursue through the justice system or not.”

If you have been the victim of rape or sexual assault, there are various ways you can report it to the police.

You can speak to independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously, or you can report directly via 101, or 999 in an emergency.


Contact Gi Hull
Email us:
Follows us on Facebook for all the latest local stories, breaking news and to join the conversation