Image

Staff praise community response following Hessle factory fire

fire

Staff praise community response following Hessle factory fire

Staff who lost their job when a local factory burned down have praised the local community for their support.

The incident occurred on 24 November destroying the Bridgewood plastic products factory in Hessle, near Hull.

Discussing the situation the following morning, Jason Kirby, Director of People and Development at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Our crews and partner agencies have made significant progress throughout the night and brought the fire under control.

“We will remain onsite today, continuing to dampen down and to monitor the incident, along with partner agencies Humberside Police, UK Health Security Agency and Environment Agency who are working with us to minimise any impact on the environment.

“The significant progress they have made by working throughout the night has meant there is now little disruption to those living and working in the area.”

But sadly, many employed at the factory were left without jobs just weeks before Christmas.

Several local residents, including members of staff, have since discussed the incident and the overwhelming feeling of support from the local community.

Watch the shocking footage here:

Speaking to the BBC Norman Chappell, who had been employed at the factory, discussed watching the incident unfold. He said:

“I knew that was it. I knew there was no coming back from that.

“I was like everybody else nobody knew what was going on it was all up in the air and right on top of Christmas. It was a scary time.”

“What the community has done is amazing, it restores your faith in humanity.

“It means everything. It’s proper community spirit, it’s quite emotional, it’s quite touching what people have done.”

Many donated toys and funds to those who had lost their jobs, while other local firms provided work placements where possible.

Fire crews say they worked quickly to bring the fire under control, reducing the impact to other buildings.

Thankfully nobody was injured in the blaze.

administrator