Disappointing Grimsby extend shocking run after penalty drama

Disappointing Grimsby extend shocking run after penalty drama

Grimsby Town fell to a seventh consecutive away defeat to table-topping Halifax after a Matty Warburton penalty.

The Mariners had a more pleasing performance than recent games but again lacked the cutting edge to break down a stern Halifax defence.

Their best chances came out of the blocks of both halves with Jordan Maguire-Drew almost grabbing an early opener in the opening five minutes but his right-footed effort was saved by Shaymen stopper Sam Johnson.

John McAtee almost broke the deadlock at the start of the second half and his thunderous strike was again well saved by Johnson, with the rebound being cleared behind for a corner.

Paul Hurst’s men were made to pay for their lack of lethality in front of goal when Shaun Pearson clumsily conceded a penalty just after the hour mark.

Matty Warburton scored his eighth goal of the season from the spot in one of the only clear-cut opportunities for either side in the game.

Grimsby lacked the cutting edge in the final third in a recurring theme of the season as they have scored just five goals in their last 11 games.

There were also concerns when the club’s only remaining right back – Michee Efete – came off in the first half.

Efete is the only natural right-sided full back left at the club after Ryan Sears’ departure to Welsh side Newtown AFC at the weekend.

Despite the poor run of form with just one win in the last 11 games, almost half of the attendees at The Shay Stadium were travelling Mariners fans.

It is thought that 1,450 of the total 2,933 attendance were visitors making the long journey on a Tuesday night.

Grimsby will play Altrincham at Blundell Park on Saturday 15 January in their next fixture, currently sitting six points outside of the play-off places.

Contact Gi Grimsby
Email us:
Follows us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest local stories, breaking news and to join the conversation