Image

Residents discuss dramatic electrics fire

Albert Road

Residents discuss dramatic electrics fire

This was the scene on Albert Road, Cleethorpes, yesterday morning after an underground electric meter caught fire:

Humberside Fire and Rescue were called to the scene of the incident just before 11.30am, after residents reported seeing thick black smoke coming from a manhole cover.

On arrival the crew discovered an underground electrics fire.

Northern Powergrid were also in attendance as engineers attempted to restore power to the 70 properties left without it for around six hours.

Now, residents and business owners have shared their experience.

Speaking to Gi Grimsby News a local hotelier said: “I was first alerted to the fire when someone ran inside to tell us what was happening.

“In terms of running a business, the situation wasn’t good.

“We have contractors staying all week. It was their day off but due to the electrics being cut at 11.30 they couldn’t shower or do anything. We had no heating all day and it was so cold.

“We lost a lot of business as we couldn’t take any bookings. Customers had to go out for the day and by the time they came back it was dark.

“Luckily I had lots of candles to provide some light and power was restored by 6pm. It was inconvenient for business but we got through it!”

Another Albert Road resident added: “I couldn’t believe this was happening on my street when I looked out of the window.  It was so scary!”

The area was cordoned off while emergency services dealt with the incident.

(Video: Joanne Stevens of Mallow View Hotel)

Contact Gi Grimsby
Email us: news@gi-media.co.uk
Follows us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest local stories, breaking news and to join the conversation

administrator