Grimsby comeback as Efete nets winner

Grimsby comeback as Efete nets winner 

2,500 Mariners made the journey to Nottingham to watch their team beat Notts County in a crucial victory. 

Grimsby were looking to break their worrying away form of 6 defeats on the bounce. 

Town started with promise, stringing well executed passes together before winning an early corner but failed to capitalise on the set piece. 

After a scrappy 15 minutes of football from both sides, Notts County’s Cal Roberts opened the score, embarrassing Town defender Luke Waterfall in the process. 

The Mariners retained possession after going 1-0 down but lacked inspiration in the final third. 

20 minutes in and Notts County were attacking with pace, leaving Town frustrated and unable to replicate their fluent movement on and off the ball. 

Grimsby weren’t without chances as McAtee won a penalty after being fouled in the box, but Ryan Taylor was unable to convert from the spot. 

Taylor’s shot was saved by 20-year-old Liverpool loanee Vitezslav Jaros, further frustrating the travelling Mariners. 

Grimsby looked defeated after the penalty miss with a plethora of Notts County chances, goal scorer Roberts bending the better opportunity wide. 

Despite the penalty miss, Town managed to stop the home sides momentum and enjoyed a healthy amount of possession during the final 10 minutes of the first half. 

A fantastic ball from McAtee landed at Taylor’s feet but the Town forward was unable to land the shot on target. 

Sousa and McAtee combined to claim a corner which saw 16 players in the penalty area. Yet again Town wasted the chance after Clifton slipped upon striking the ball. 

Although the Mariners found themselves 1-0 down, they were the better side as the first half came to a climax. 

Paul Hurst made one substitution, replacing captain Coke for Ben Fox who started with incredible determination. 

Town started the second half with intense pressure, resulting in an early double chance after Sousa’s shot was deflected and McAtee’s shot fizzed wide. 

Grimsby’s Danny Amos had a penally shout after a handball in the Notts County box was ignored. 

Still 1-0 down the Mariners hit another hurdle after substitute Fox picked up a knee injury and was immediately replaced by Max Wright. 

It took 76 minutes for Town to score their first of the match, Ryan Taylor equalised making amends for his spot kick miss earlier. 

Taylor showed impeccable strength, shrugging off various challenges in the Notts County box before pulling the trigger and levelling the score. 

The final 10 minutes displayed a nervous Grimsby side after Notts County enjoyed most of the ball. 

Grimsby survived a nervy run of Notts County corners, Crocombe almost making a vital error after he split the ball but manage to compose himself and punch it clear. 

Town were on the attack when Abrahams was brought down, Lacey was lucky to only receive a yellow card. 

The resulting free kick led to Grimsby’s winner; Efete met with the ball to ensure the Mariners went home with something to show for their performance.

Paul Hurst’s men deserved to take all 3 points home on what was a difficult away fixture. 

Here’s hoping the Mariners can keep up their winning ways. 

Contact Gi Grimsby
Email us:
Follows us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest local stories, breaking news and to join the conversation

Louis joined the Gi team in January 2022.