Scunthorpe unite in march against male violence towards women
Scunthorpe is set to host a march in protest against male violence towards women today.
The “Reclaim The Night” march runs alongside International Women’s Day.
The protest has been backed by the North Lincolnshire Council, Humberside Police and Ongo.
The Council have said:
“Every walker will get a free snapband and glow stick, and people are encouraged to bring torches and banners to make their presence felt as they walk around the town centre”
The campaign hopes to encourage more people to speak out about street harassment, coercive control, workplace harassment, unwanted touching, cyber-flashing and revenge-porn.
The march follows the heartbreaking story of Sarah Everard’s murder last year.
Sarah, 33, was walking home in South London when Wayne Couzens, a serving Met Police Off Kidnapped, raped and murdered her.
Speaking to Planet Radio, Scunthorpe women’s safety campaigner, Lisa Vickers said:
“I feel angry and frustrated that after 30 years I’m still going to be there marching for an end to violence for women and girls”.
“I want to show our solidarity to women and girls, we support you, we hear you and we demand change particularly in the criminal justice system”, she added.
“We want to highlight that things need to change and they need to change now”.
“I’m angry because I was doing reclaim marches 30 years ago and I think things have actually got worse not better for women and girls”.
Those wishing to participate in the march are asked to assemble at the Central Park car park off Kingsway, Scunthorpe at 6pm tonight (Tuesday 8 March)
The 2.9 mile march will commence at 6.30pm and will take around an hour to complete.
Anyone under 16-years-old must be accompanied by an adult.
Will you be attending the march tonight?
Contact Gi Scunthorpe News
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org