Match report: Town fall to narrow defeat away at AFC Wimbledon

Grimsby AFC Wimbledon match report

Match report: Town fall to narrow defeat away at AFC Wimbledon

Grimsby Town suffered a narrow defeat at the hands of AFC Wimbledon in League Two this afternoon.

An Ethan Chislett strike an hour into the game was enough to secure all three points for the hosts in a game of few chances.

Paul Hurst was forced into making one change to the side that beat Cambridge United in the FA Cup last week, with Evan Khouri coming in to replace Danny Amos.

Town had the first opportunity of the game, as Gavan Holohan struck his effort over the bar for a goal kick four minutes into the contest.

Brendan Kiernan almost got in behind the AFC Wimbledon defence a couple of minutes later, but Otis Khan’s through ball was collected by Nik Tzanev before the winger could get to it.

A dangerous free-kick for the hosts was headed towards goal, with Max Crocombe seeing it comfortably go over his bar.

The Mariners had a decent chance to take the lead midway through the half when a good move ended up with Kiernan’s effort being saved well by the keeper.

With clear-cut chances at a premium in the opening 30 minutes, Michee Efete made a superb block to deny Ayoub Assal’s fierce strike on goal.

The Dons had another great chance seven minutes before the break, but Crocombe pulled off an excellent stop from point-blank range.

Town then went up the other end and, after winning a corner, Niall Maher went agonisingly close to opening the scoring with an overhead kick that went just over the bar.

AFC Wimbledon came on strong towards the end of the half, with the visitors defending their box well.

Unfortunately, 10 minutes of added time were required at the end of the half after Efete suffered a heavy fall and a stretcher was needed to take him off the pitch.

The second half started at a relatively slow pace, with Assal having the best chance of the opening stages but his effort flashed wide of Crocombe’s goal.

They weren’t to be denied for much longer, though, as a long throw into the box was poked home by Chislett an hour into the game.

It turned into a scrappy affair after the goal, as both sides struggled to create opportunities in the final third as Town went in search of an equaliser.

Their next chance wouldn’t come until deep into injury time when Crocombe came forward for a corner and, although he managed to get on the end of it, his header went wide of the target.

AFC Wimbledon saw out the game well in the end to claim all three points and the defeat for Town leaves them without a win in six league games.

Contact Gi Grimsby
Email us:
Follows us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest local stories, breaking news and to join the conversation