Match report: Grimsby Borough suffer narrow defeat at Dunston

Grimsby Borough Dunston match report

Match report: Grimsby Borough suffer narrow defeat at Dunston

Grimsby Borough were on the end of a narrow loss away at playoff-chasing Dunston in the league on Tuesday evening.

An early Lewis Collins effort wasn’t enough for Boro, as two second-half goals secured the victory for the hosts in the North East.

The visitors started the game on the front foot, with Owen Davey having a shot on target four minutes in that was well saved by Dan Staples.

The game was then bizarrely brought to halt just a couple of minutes later when eggs were thrown at Boro keeper Liam Higton from a fence behind the goal.

Grimsby then took the lead on 13 minutes through Collins, who shrugged off a defensive challenge and showed great composure to coolly slot the ball into the net following a neat bit of build-up play.

Dunston seemed to spark into life after going behind, with Jack Camarda’s curling effort from distance forcing Higton into a save with his feet midway through the half.

The hosts then somehow failed to draw themselves level on 27 minutes, as Will Jenkins and Sado Djaló both saw their efforts hit the post moments apart before Dale Pearson’s follow-up strike was cleared off the line.

Higton was on hand to deny Pearson just a minute later, with the keeper doing well to tip the midfielder’s left-footed shot over the bar.

Pearson had another glorious opportunity to level things up just before half-time after being played through on goal, but his effort went agonisingly wide of the post.

After dominating most of the game since going behind to the battling Boro side, Dunston continued to come forward and Djaló saw his volley fly well over before Pearson headed just wide of the goal.

Pearson finally did get his name on the scoresheet, though, after Jack Elliott laid the ball off to the midfielder and he fired an effort into the top corner on 54 minutes.

Thomas Hipwell almost instantly put Grimsby back in front, but the defender lashed his effort from inside the six-yard box wide of the goal.

Higton then prevented Grimsby from going behind when he tipped Djaló’s shot over the bar before the forward then saw another effort cleared off the line.

With just over 15 minutes left to play, the hosts went ahead through Djaló, who was in the right place at the right time to strike the ball into the net after being laid off by Pearson in the box.

Boro pushed to try and find an equaliser towards the end of the game, but they weren’t able to salvage a point against a decent Dunston side.

Contact Gi Grimsby
Email us:
Follows us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest local stories, breaking news and to join the conversation