Match report: Clee Town fall to final day defeat at Hebburn

Cleethorpes Hebburn match report

Match report: Clee Town fall to final day defeat at Hebburn

Cleethorpes Town were beaten away at Hebburn Town on the final day of the season on Saturday afternoon.

Two second-half goals from the hosts earned them a top-three finish and a 3-1 victory on Tyneside, with the Owls ending the campaign in 11th place.

Clee made four changes from their midweek fixture, as Ben Richards, Sam Topliss, Dan Gallimore and Curtis Bateson all came into the starting lineup.

Hebburn got off to the perfect start when James McKeown misjudged the bounce of the ball on the wet surface, allowing Amar Purewal to roll his shot into an empty net on three minutes.

The Hornets also hit the woodwork and largely dominated the opening exchanges, as they went in pursuit of an early second goal.

But it was the Owls that were next to strike on 12 minutes. Sam Topliss picked up the ball about 35 yards out, accelerated towards the edge of the area before completing a lovely exchange with captain Alex Flett and powering the ball into the bottom corner.

Shortly after that, Jack McMenemy was cynically taken down in a good position, as the visitors started to take some control of the game. Gallimore also saw a low effort saved by Shaun Newbrook.

At the other end, Olly Martin went close for Hebburn, while McKeown made a smart stop to keep out a fierce, curling effort by Joe Walton.

The second half didn’t start well for Clee, as the hosts scored twice inside the first eight minutes.

Robbie Spence was the first to get on the scoresheet after hammering the ball home from about 10 yards out, while Martin sent the ball into the top corner from the penalty spot.

The Owls continued to battle to try and get back into the game, but they couldn’t create any clear-cut opportunities as their season ended in a defeat.

Contact Gi Grimsby
Email us:
Follows us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest local stories, breaking news and to join the conversation